Thursday, August 18, 2011
Sleek, glossy Chocolate Cookies
These cookies started out as a roll and cut butter cookies. That is you roll the cookie dough out and use a cookie cutter to cut out each individual cookies.
And when you do that, you tend to get cookie scraps.
The cookie scraps.
And these are the actual cookies, before hair and make up.
If you are the type who likes your chocolate cookies with a pronounced chocolate flavour, these are definitely for you. There is a high content of cocoa powder in this recipe, so you might want to use a higher grade cocoa powder for these.
But what i really liked about these cookies is how effortless the dough handling is. It was an agreeable dough, it rolled well and cut well without being too soft and sticky.
From my experience, co-operative cookie dough usually results in bad cookies. Instead of relying on flour, the dough had milk powder listed as one of its ingredients. That’s quite a smart way to overcome dough stickiness and introduce a milky flavour at the same time. But having said that, the cocoa powder still remained the dominant flavour in these cookies. You can barely trace any form of milky taste.
Oh, in case you were wondering, those white lines are made of white chocolate.
So if sleek, glossy, chocolatey cookies are your thing, here goes:
Sleek, Glossy Chocolate Coated Cookies
Taken from a free insert on an Indonesian Magazine Saji
100 gr Butter
75 gr Icing Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Egg Yolk
100 gr Cake Flour
25 gr Cornflour
25 gr Milk Powder
30 gr Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
Enough Dark Chocolate (to coat)
Enough White Chocolate (to pipe)
1. Beat Butter, icing sugar and salt till light and fluffy. Add in egg yolk, beat to combine
2. Sift in the flour, cornflour, milk powder, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat till just combined
3. Gather dough into a flat disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
4. Roll your cookies to about 1/2 cm in height, and using a cookie cutter, cut them to shape.
5. Bake at 150 degree Celcius on a pre-greased and pre-lined baking sheet for abt 25 mins or till they are cooked
6. Drop chocolate into the melted dark chocolate, wait till set, then decorate as you wish with the white chocolate.